Monday, October 28, 2013

First Observation Entry

Upon viewing my micro aquarium for the first time since making it, I saw a few noticeable differences but nothing major.
  1. The first thing I noticed was a much larger number of single celled organisms in the aquarium.  Because they were so small I never identified them for sure, but I am thinking that they were bacteria.
  2. Another thing I noticed was that there were two mosquito larvae this time instead of just one.  I'm sure there is a very good chance that there are more that I have yet to see, but I'm positive there are at least two.  There was another worm looking organism that I do not think was a mosquito larvae, but I was never able to successfully identify it.
  3. The third most noticeable difference in my micro aquarium was the growth of algae.  There wasn't a whole lot but definitely more than I began with.



Because I failed to realize the due date for the first post, I just wanted to include that information in this one.

I set up the aquarium by adding a small amount of mud and water, originally collected from the French Broad River, into my micro aquarium container.  I then added small pieces of the plants Amblestegium varium and Utricularia gibba.  The only organisms I saw were what looked to possibly be a few bacteria, about midway between the top and bottom and a mosquito larvae near the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment