Monday, November 11, 2013

November 11 entry

The mystery of the large mosquito larvae/worm thing is no more.  Upon viewing my micro aquarium this past time, Dr. MacFarland identified the nasty looking little thing as an Aeolosoma, as pictured below.
 
 
This is a picture of the tail end of the organism.  Dr. MacFarland wanted me to get a picture of the head but I was unable to do so.  This organism seems to spend the majority of its time very low in the aquarium near the dirt.  It is kind of hard to see, but there is another much smaller organism in the picture just a little above the "sp." after "Aeolosoma.  However, this organism was not identified.
 
I also found another interesting organism that I had not seen before this past time.  Dr. MacFarland identified it as a Roterifer, pictured below. 

This organism seemed to be anchored onto a plant with its odd looking flagella.

No comments:

Post a Comment